4.17.2013

From the table talk of Martin Luther

Of the Archbishop of Mentz
"Anno 1530, at the Imperial Assembly at Augburg, Albertus, Bishop of Mentz, by chance had got into his hands the Bible, and for the space of four hours he continued reading therein; at last, one of his Council on a sudden came into his bed-chamber unto him, who, seeing the Bible in the Bishop's hand, was much amazed thereat, and said unto him, "what doth your Highness with that book?" The Archbishop thereupon answered him, and said, "I know not what this book is, but sure I am, all that is written therein is quite against us."

The World's opinion of the Bible
"... as he saw that I diligently read and affected the Bible, "Brother Martin, what is the Bible? Let us read the ancient Teachers and Fathers, for they have sucked the juice and truth out of the Bible.  The Bible is the cause of all dissension and rebellion."

Luther On learning the Bible
"I did not learn my divinity at one only time, but as I was constrained to search deeper and deeper, to which my temptations brought me; for no man, without trials and temptations, can attain to the true understanding of the Holy Scriptures."

Luther on Fearing God
"Whoso can earnestly humble himself from his heart before God, he had gained.  For God can do nothing but to be merciful towards them that humble themselves.  For if God should always be stern and angry, so should I be afraid of him as of the executioner.  And seeing that I must stand in fear of the Pope, of the Emperor, of the Papistical Bishops, and of other tyrants, to whom then should I fly and take my refuge, if I should also be afraid of God?"

Luther on Free will and Sin
"I oftentimes have been directly resolved to live uprightly, and to lead a true godly life, and to set everything aside that would let or hinder; but it was far from being put in execution, even as it was with Peter, when he swore he would lay down his life for Christ.
I will not lie nor dissemble before my God,  but will freely confess I am not able to effect that good which I do intend, but must expect the happy hour when God shall be pleased to meet me with his grace."

No comments: