2.17.2011

from "The Fortunes of Indigo Skye" by Deb Caletti

"The way most people feel on Sunday nights is how I think he feels a lot of the time." 

"Why do you feel like your heart could break when the hills turn pink and the trees turn yellow?  Why do you feel every joy and sorrow and goodness and beauty and past and present and every perfect thing?" 

"This time, right now - it's the instrumental before the vocals, the love before love's been admitted, the Christmas eve before Christmas.  Some things need a delicious before...."

"The willingness to embrace the idea of 'a surprise' is dependent on our past surprises being good ones." 

"Usually that kiss woudl have acted like some tingling, hypnotic spell, but this time, i feel something else.  A small internal stepping back.  A slight shove to the chest with my palm that I see only in my mind.  Just, this little echo of away." 

"...the misplaced dreamer-academic, the human equivalent of a soul walking an empty beach." 

"...I understand now.  Nick has reached the point when a person stops fighting for themselves.  When a sense of powerlessness seems larger than any ability you have to fight back.  He has gotten to the place where the words "destiny" and "fate" are not used as expressions of possibility, but as the words for forces that always win." 

"Hope is not something that fate bestows, like Willy Wonka and the golden ticket... Hope is a decision." 

"I said I love you and didn't mean love.  I meant Please don't leave me.  I meant Please don't inflict change on me.  I meant Let's just ignore this.  I'm not ready for this right now.  I'm embarrassed at my own self for using Love and Cling interchangeably." 

"Everything has changed, Indigo.  You can do that, you know, with one action.  You should know that." 

"Maybe because we most successfully lie to the people who we don't care (never cared, no longer care) if we disappoint." 

"The loneliness you feel with another person, the wrong person, is the loneliest of all."

"I'd been had.  I'd worshiped something that wasn't even real.  I'd wasted my time and my belief on a lie." 

"...I have the ability to end things I don't like and to say something isn't okay when it isn't okay.  I have the power to insist on good and real things for myself.  Most of all, I have the right to change my mind." 

"When you are waiting and wanting to be with someone again it is not one disappointment you feel, but thousands of disappointments." 

"And right then I learn something very simple and fundamental about love.  That it is there or it is not there.  That some of our biggest troubles probably come when we try to convince ourselves it is there when it isn't, or that it isn't there when it is." 

No comments: