6.04.2010

From Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte

This is a difficult book to read, but has some excellent material.

"He had room in his heart for only two idols - his lady and himself: he doted on both and adored one, and I couldn't conceive how he would bear her loss."

The following paragraphs spoken by Catherine:

"whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same; and Linton's is as different as a moonbean from lightning, or frost from fire."

"Who is to separate us, pray? ... Not as long as I live, Ellen: for no mortal creature. Every Linton on the face of the earth might melt into nothing before I could consent to forsake Heathcliff."

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods: time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes trees. My love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath: a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Healthcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself, but as my own being..."

No comments: